electrical contractor

How to Prevent Electrical Fires in Your Home

No one wants their home to burn down. Unfortunately, electrical fires are one of the leading causes of house fires. The good news is, there are steps you can take to prevent electrical fires in your home.

 Use proper wiring and outlets:

One of the leading causes of electrical fires is faulty wiring. If your home is more than 40 years old, it’s likely that the wiring is outdated and needs to be replaced. Likewise, if you frequently blow fuses or trip circuits, that’s a sign that your wiring is overloaded and needs to be updated. If you’re doing any sort of home renovation, make sure to hire a licensed electrician to do the work. It may cost a bit more upfront, but it’s worth it to prevent an electrical fire.

Don’t overload outlets:

Another leading cause of electrical repairs in Riverside, CA fires is overloading outlets. If you plug too many devices into one outlet, it can cause a fire. To avoid this, use power strips and surge protectors. That way, you can plug multiple devices into one outlet without overloading it.

Inspect electrical cords:

Frayed or damaged electrical cords are another common cause of electrical fires. Inspect all of the cords in your home on a regular basis, and replace any that are damaged.

Don’t use extension cords permanently:

Extension cords are only meant to be used temporarily. If you need to use one for an extended period of time, it’s a sign that you need more outlets.

Keep flammable items away from heat sources:

Flammable items such as paper, cloth, and alcohol should be kept away from heat sources such as space heaters and candles. If these items come into contact with a heat source, they can catch fire.

Unplug appliances when not in use:

Appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, and hair straighteners should be unplugged when not in use. If they’re left plugged in, they can overheat and start a fire.

Don’t leave candles unattended:

If you use candles, make sure to blow them out before leaving the room. Candles that are left unattended can easily start a fire.


In the event of a fire, having a fire extinguisher can help you put it out before it gets out of control. Make sure to have at least one fire extinguisher in your home, and know how to use it.

You May Also Like

More From Author